This was a really simple project that Megan requested. Apparently she needed somewhere to hang her necklaces, who knew? She bought the pulls, I just mounted them on a scrap 1×6. I also discovered that I have a keyhole router bit, which you can see in the pictures. Start to finish only took like 24 hours, which must be some kind of record for a project of any size (at least for me).
Also, my apologies to whomever is trying to sell these on Esty.com, but this project only costs like $10 max. It would cost more to ship one than it would to make it.
This inaugural post of the latest incarnation of grvland.com will feature the construction of “Patrick’s Jelly Cupboard” from Ana-White.com. All props go to Patrick and Ana for planning, drawing and constructing this project. I merely followed their excellent instructions. The following paragraphs are related directly to those instructions and include my minor adjustments.
The plan calls for 1×10 shelves and 1/4″ plywood or beadboard backing. I adjusted the plan a bit to use 1×12 shelves flush to the inside of the face frame. I ripped all the shelves down by 1/2″ and used 1/2″ plywood on the back. Because the shelves were ripped down, the back sits flush to the sides and top. This way the backing material is not visible from the sides.
The doors were made per Patrick’s instructions in the comments. The screen sits inside a 3/4″ rabbet made with a router table before the assembly of the door frames. I used a 3/4″ straight bit set to sightly deeper than 1/4″ to allow for the depth of the wooden screen stop strips plus the screen. The screen was spray painted with RustOleum Painter’s Touch Satin in Heirloom White prior to installation in the doors.